The installing of new boxes can either go very smoothly or else can prove problematic. The trouble is until you remove the existing windows it is difficult to know exactly what you will encounter. In this case one went in smoothly and the other required the cutting back of the internal brickwork to make the rebate for the new box sash to fit behind.
Overall the project took about a week on site to fully re-instate all the windows and they have transformed the look of this Victorian semi back to its’ original former glory.
We replaced a triple sash window and a double sash window with new sash boxes and double glazed sash windows. We also replaced a corner casement window with a new frame and pair of casement windows, but as the glass was leaded light we managed to retain this glass in the new windows. We also supplied and fitted another two pairs of double glazed casement windows. Finally we overhauled and repaired numerous other sash windows carrying out several splice repairs, resin fixes and installed several new cills, and replaced numerous cracked panes of glass.
Stage 1 was to overhaul and draught-seal all the sash windows.
Stage 2 was to remove the existing non-original casement windows and instal new sash boxes and sash windows.
Stage 3 was to remove an original sash window, have a purpose made frame built and then instal into it a sheet of laminate glass and in front a section of stained glass to provide a feature window.
The casement window replacements were straightforward as was the overhauling and draught-sealing of the existing sash windows that were not to be double glazed.
For the sash windows that were to be replaced with new double glazed sashes we went with a grid system so that the authenticity of the building could be maintained. The pictures show how this system was applied. The finished product was very well received by all parties involved in the renovation of the house.
The first repair involved removing a very rotten window cill and then slowly replacing all the various components to build it back up into a very realistic replacement cill and mouldings.
The other repair involved a very rotten section of their porch which was literally being held in place by a small piece of pine and two nails.
For this we removed all the rotten timber, and then sculpted various pieces of timber to fit the cavity. We then finally moulded it all together using window care resin.
We were tasked with sympathetically removing the aluminium windows, exposing the original box frame rebates and then installing complete new, hardwood box frames, complete with double glazed sash windows, which when hung, were fully draught sealed. We also fitted all the new internal architrave and windowboards.
In total we supplied and fitted 6 complete box frames.
The client wanted to retain the windows to their detached property, but needed them double glazed and draft sealed to improve insulation and reduce heating bills. The windows were fixed casement with fanlights over. Upon inspection the windows were on the whole sound with a few repairs to the cill areas.
The main challenge was the window depths, which were only 35mm so the double glazed units needed to be ultra thin.
Work was carried out bay-by-bay, carrying out any repairs and replacing the old single glazed 3mm glass with 10mm double glazed ultra thin units.
The opening casements and fanlights were draught sealed. One of the fixed fanlights was changed to allow it to open, which provided additional ventilation.
After the project was completed all that was left was for the client’s painter to apply the finishing touches.